Friday, June 13, 2008

Small Pox

I thought Paul Kelton's article about the small pox epidemic and the Native response to it was fascinating. The 4 Nations did not stop the disease however they decreased its extent using quarantine and natural medicine. The methods not only slowed population decline but in a 45 year period between 1745 and 1790 population increased by 10,000.  Native American disease prevention methods slowed the spread of disease better than any European methods, which demonstrates Native Americans were not "savages" who needed to be civilized. If anything the Europeans could have learned from Native Americans about preventing spread of disease instead of using their dangerous medical practices.
Previously, I believed that the small pox epidemic spread through the Americas and Natives had no means to prevent the spread. After the first two weeks of class I've realized how skewed my view of Native American history is and the Kelton article is just another example of my views being aligned with the "European story" of Native American history. 

2 comments:

eheldstab said...

I also thought that article was REALLY interesting. Mainly the part about mental and spiritual guidance. It is such an important factor, and I never thought about it before hearing this presentation. It definitely speaks to the tribes' dedication to their people and shows true leadership in response to crisis.

Grant High said...

I too was unaware of the steps taken by Native Americans to prevent the spread of disease. However, I did not believe that being "savages" had anything to do with it. Rather, I attributed it entirely to a lack of immunity.