Thursday, June 5, 2008

Week 1 - Potlatches!!!

One thing we learned this week that piqued my interest was the differing structures that existed in Native American societies. I found this interesting because while many of the societies were egalitarian, others were quite stratified; however, these societies were not stratified in the same sense that we in modern capitalist societies are accustomed to. The societies had many methods of wealth redistribution that prevented exuberant wealth and crippling poverty. Included in these methods was the Potlatch. Potlatches were festivals celebrated by American Indians from the Northwest. In a potlatch, which I discovered is translated as “give away” or “gift,” a wealthy citizen would invite their neighbors to partake in the several day festival, where they would receive gifts. These gifts were given under the agreement of reciprocity. Any who accepted gifts would have to reciprocate, at a later date, a gift to the potlatch host. While this was not like being in debt to the mob, it was a great method of wealth redistribution and encouraged all citizens, even the poorest, to engage in trade and societal interdependence.

While I was researching about potlatches, I discovered that they were banned by the US and Canadian governments near the turn of the 19th century. While I know it is terrible to judge history from my modern perspective, but I found this to be quite appalling, as the festival caused no public disturbances. One of the reasons cited for the ban was that it was an obstruction to converting the native peoples to Christianity. I’m quite appalled.

5 comments:

nmartinez said...

Potlatches would of the been the best thing ever! I am impressed that you followed up your interest in potlatches by researching the subject. I am too quite appalled that they would do such a thing since it "wasn't causing a disturbance." I find that redistributing goods back to the people was a popular tactic that was developed not just by the people of the NW, but by multiple societies too. I really liked this type of structure since everyone is getting helped out, no one is being taken advantage of, and the power of everyone in the society is kept in check. We should organize a potlatch for class...

eheldstab said...

Wow! I really cannot believe the banning of potlatches either...not that I am totally surprised that the US government would do something like that, especially in relation to all that happened to native people over the years. When we learned about them in class, I guess I assumed (which is always stupid) that some existing tribes still participated in potlatches. I would be very interested to learn the justifiction of eliminating these ceremonies, if there even is one. As for the class potlatch, I'm in.

Paul Thompson said...

Even though we can't experience these amazing Native American potlatches in their original form, at least we can all take solace in the fact that the spirit of the potlache will live forever through the stirring tribute that is the Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival.

Doc Hollywood said...

Torre, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop writing such kick-ass posts, you're making the rest of us look bad.

Spencer Dean said...

I am amazed at what I learned about Potlatches. i am too quite appalled that they would do such a thing since apparently they weren't causing a disturbance. I would be very interested to learn the justification of eliminating these ceremonies.