Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Buffalo Are Extinct.

This week in class he learned about the buffalo. The buffalo that used to roam back then are extinct. The buffalo that we have today, are of mixed type of bison. The stories that I heard in history classes was that the Calvary was shooting them left and right. Their reasoning was, "To get rid of the Indian, Shoot the buffalo. Buffalo being the main food and clothing source of the Native American.
Once in awhile I do get ill and have to go to the "walk in clinic" here in Lawrence. I walk inside my doctors office and hanging on the wall is a piece of artwork. This piece of artwork is a drawing of the 1850's era. It shows 3 cowboy men riding on a train through the wide open area of the Plains. They are sticking their heads out of the window, and their having a 'high ol' time', they have on their cowboy hats and in their hands are rifles. While the train is in motion their shooting at these buffalo and killing them. In the background you can see other buffalo lying dead in the wake of their path. This is pretty sad.
Being Native American and knowing what this picture "represents", I am offended and possibly others might be as well. I always intended to write a letter to the office manager and explain that this "picture" is offensive to some of their customers.
This is an example that shows the lack of knowledge that society has of American Indian history.

4 comments:

Stephanie Bray said...

I also find images of this era offensive. I never really gave images such as those very much thought before taking this class but now I find myself pointing out to my husband, "Look, childrens books about pilgrims and settlers but no mention of kicking native people off of their own land and indiscriminately murdering Native women and children." He doesnt appreciate these comments all the time but it is amazing how revered some of this imagery is and we are made to feel like if we do not appreciate the "trials and tribulations" of the early Americans, then our patriotism is called into question. Maybe a letter would have more impact if a majority of the class writes something and we all send it in together. Just an idea.

Jake Thibodeau said...

I agree, these images are also offensive to me. I am not Native American, but I can sympathize with you about your experience in the doctors office. I am hoping that maybe the painting is a commentary of the destruction of the buffalo and the negatives of western expansion not a celebration of the destruction of the plains people and their way of life. I don't want to make excuses for this person if in fact he/she thinks the images are agreeable. I just hope to give another explaination to why someone would put up a picture of this type. As we learn more about the destruction of the native Peoples it is hard not to get upset about images and people we once thought were ok. An example of this would be Thomas Jefferson. I think we are made to think he is a good guy, but after learning what he did to Native Americans, my views have changed.

Irishman O'Quinn said...

It is really sad how the casual attitude toward Native American culture is pushed aside and how racism is not really looked at the same as other cultures. As Americans now I think most of us are still focused on black/white issues and not offending each other when there are many other race problems that arent addressed.

Patrick Mathay said...

Irishman o'quinn makes a good point here. If it were a painting celebrating a KKK activity, the doctor would be on they nightly news explainnig himself.