Thursday, July 3, 2008

Complication of Sioux

This week's presentations were very interesting to me. I learned a lot about things that I wasn't sure about before. For instance, i found in particularly interesting in the presentation about the "Complications of the Sioux" how there were three stages of movement for these people. Similar to before, disease was a huge catalyst in the destruction of many native Americans and their respected tribes. I was not aware of the widespread killing of the buffalo as a means to force the native Americans to make hasty decisions, if they were even able to make a decision, of where to go and who to trust. The biggest thing that shook me the hardest was the amount of disease. I mean everywhere you turn, even when you think that you have traveled far enough away another epidemic storms native American peoples, decimating their numbers to unrecoverable stats.
Another thing that I found interesting was the Laramie Treaty of 1851. Up to this time I had thought that the white man dominated trade and trade relations between him and the native American peoples. However, in this instance, the Sioux dominated the conference by intimidating and attacking other tribes. Although they would eventually fall to the American government, they were able for a long while to sustain their respectable authority over a vast number of people and land.

No comments: