Friday, July 4, 2008

Plains Peoples

I thought it was interesting hearing about the plains peoples this week. I have heard the term "Sioux" used before to describe the plains Indians, but I didn't realize that there are actually many different people included in the term and is actually a bit of a misnomer.
I also thought that the massacre at of Black Kettle's Cheyenne by the US Army was interesting because I think it highlights the mistrust that the Indians must have felt toward the Americans. After the massacre many of the Indians had to figure that they could never enter into treaties with the Americans and expect them to keep their word.

3 comments:

Grant High said...

I also did not realize that the term Sioux referred to many people groups, and not just one. It seems I am finding yet another occasion in which I have used a term improperly.

Amanda Hermesch said...

Having taken Rita Napier's class on the history of the plains people, I learned a lot about the Sioux people and their many groups. We also spent a lot of time learning about the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota, who also were not just one group. At the time, I think I was just going through the motions of the class and did what I needed to do...but now I realize that information was valuable and I am a little amazed at how much I can relate to this class from that class. I had no idea certain information would stick with more for almost a year to be able to use it for another learning experience.

eheldstab said...

I know that I was really ignorant in terms of the word "Sioux" before lecture and reading the article. It is really amazing to think about the amount of power such a loosely, and often not aligned at all, tribe could be.