Friday, July 18, 2008

Social Responsibility

There's a guy I work with who loves to talk about how the government controls us. He believes that the reason drug laws exist, is simply because it can milk out lots of money for town governments. He was explaining how the income tax amendment, the 16th, is unconstitutional. I thought this was ridiculous at first, but then I did some research into the topic, and apparently a few states weren't qualified to vote on amendments, a couple other states that voted, voted illegally. It winds up, that the states that legally voted for this amendment were not enough to actually pass it.
In my other class I've been doing a project on the civil rights movement. And then in our class we'vebeen talking about the American Indian Movement. I find it interesting that the reason Indians became much more political in the 70s is because they had become much more collective. And we've talked almost non-stop about how the government suppressed the Indians through out history. It really frustrates me and makes me want to find out what all atrocities the big bad government still does today to limit our freedom.
But the big question is, How can we take action? The US is supposed to be a government by the people for the people. It's a huge step to get legislation changed, but as we know, it's possible and sometimes takes radical steps. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pro-hemp rally I need to attend.

2 comments:

TORRE!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TORRE!!!! said...

Hey! You should really look into libertarian policies. I'm a strong democrat, but Libertarians have a platform that describes almost everything you desire. They are for small government that does little beyond protecting the country from foreign invasion. The platform is very logical and consistent because it isn't entwined with things like faith or big business. I'm not sure where their stance on relations with Native peoples is, but I would have to assume it is something along the lines of non-interventionist.

PS. I deleted my first post because I used 'they're' instead of 'their' which drives me nuts!