Friday, June 20, 2008

British Colonists=Cheapskates

I thought it was hilarious yesterday(or the day before, maybe???) when we discussed why many Native Americans chose to trade with the French instead of the English. When Tai said that many tribes chose the French because the English had crappy goods, I almost lost it. The best part was that the British would water down their liquor before selling it to the Indians. That is pathetic as hell! I can imagine the English sitting around waiting for their trade partners to show up, deciding to have one drink and ending up completely slammed, telling dirty jokes and singing lullabies before realizing that the bottle is 3/4 empty. Those crazy Brits...

3 comments:

nmartinez said...

Hahahaha! I too found this interesting. I was completely shocked by this because I always had the impression that the English had the wealth, resources, and industrial power to get the bomb diggity goods, but to hear that the Indians choose the French as trading partners was quite amazing...

Stephanie Bray said...

I also thought this part of the lecture was interesting and it made me wonder if the British did not just attempt to trade their low-quality products because they thought the Native Americans were too stupid to tell the difference? I also thought the section of the lecture on alcohol was very informative because there are so many negative stereotypes about Native Americans being alcoholics but the colonists and traders were the ones that introduced them to alcohol and gave them a reason to drink in the first place. The hardships experienced by Native Americans throughout history would probably drive many people to drink.

eheldstab said...

I agree! I didn't really think their actions could be any dumber, but then they went and tried to water down the alcohol. Did they REALLY think the Indians wouldn't notice???